I’ve had a few people ask about how things are going with our decision to stay home, rather than take our road trip. I have to say, they are going quite well!
I have been working a lot more the past week or so on my business, because it’s the busy season right now for music teachers. Teachers everywhere are thinking about scheduling and getting their studio ready for the coming school year. So I’ve been doing a lot of marketing, sending out special offers, purchasing banner ad space and e-mail blasts, and more. It already looks like it’s starting to pay off, so that’s good.
Despite the fact that I’ve been working more (I clocked 23 hours last week!), it seems like we’ve been spending more time together as a family, too. Here’s a list of some of the things we did this week:
- Played board games, including a word/spelling game, checkers, and more.
- Played croquet in the back yard (Well, Marie got tired of it, but Emily played)
- Played imaginary games with stuffed animals
- Went to Gardner Village, rode ponies, and enjoyed the petting zoo.
- Played catch with a big purple ball – in the living room!
- Went to the library and read books to the kids
- Watched a movie together – in Spanish! (Tarzan 2)
- Went bowling, then out to dinner at Applebee’s, then grocery shopping
- Ate every meal together (except breakfast)
I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but it’s been a fun week. Jen and I have also been reading together for about 1-2 hours each day, about education and family, and have had some interesting discussions both in the afternoon, and at night before bed.
So, now that we’ve figured out how to have fun as a family even when we’re not out of the country, does this mean we’re going to stay here forever? Not a chance! In fact, we’ve already decided where we want to go on our next international trip, and we’re planning on living there for at least 6 months, starting in January. We may even take a shorter trip there next month to scout out a place to rent. We’ve spent quite a bit of time looking into it this week. I’m not going to share where we’re going quite yet, but will spill the beans as soon as we have a few more of the details worked out. We’re getting excited!
26 Sep 2017
17 Sep 2017